Conductor/Award Winning Composer/Arranger
Chris A. Bowman is a multifaceted musician with credits as a conductor, award-winning composer, arranger, singer and keyboard player. He is equally at home with classical, popular or jazz styles of music. Mr. Bowman’s original music can be heard on Pandora, Itunes, Spotify, Rhapsody, Radio Airplay, Jango Radio and more. Currently he is The Director of Music/Organist/Pianist at Valley of the Flowers United Church of Christ, and a freelance musician, composer and arranger. The Chris A. Bowman Band - consisting of keyboards, trumpet, vocals, guitar, bass and drums - is available for hire - performing original songs and standards. Call 805.294.8241 for booking information.
Over 1,000 fans on Radio Airplay!
Maestro Bowman has conducted and directed orchestras, choirs, and various ensembles at The Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara, the Aspen Music Festival, the Oregon Bach Festival, California Institute of the Arts, College of the Canyons, California State University-Northridge, the Los Angeles Music Center, and other venues throughout the United States, Quebec and Europe. He has worked with and studied under, Simon Rattle, Zubin Mehta, Helmuth Rilling, Peter Schreier, Christopher Hogwood, Erich Kunzel - “The Prince of Pops”, Roger Wagner, and John Alexander. He served on the music faculty at College of the Canyons, Oxnard College and California Lutheran University.
His most recent original composition, Pie Jesu, for chorale, strings and piano, is a commission from the Shepherd Foundation. A Christmas Rose, with lyrics by Catalina McIsaac, for chorale, strings and piano is a commission from the Smith/Broderick Trust. His award-winning Sanctus was selected to be recorded by the Kiev Philharmonic & Chorus with worldwide distribution. Sing! also with lyrics by Catalina McIsaac, for chorus and orchestra is a commission from The Shepherd Foundation. He is the recipient of two Artist-in-Residence grants from the Santa Barbara Foundation and the James Irvine Foundation. The results of these two grants are Alleluia and Celebrate, both for chorus and orchestra. Collaborating with lyricist, Cathleen McIsaac, Mr. Bowman has composed a musical, Toad Hall, based on The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. O Come Let Us Sing, for choir, piano and orchestra, is the result of a grant from the John Imbach III Foundation. His instrumental piece, Time and Texture, was awarded First Place in a composition competition sponsored by the Los Angeles Valley Symphony Orchestra. Mr. Bowman was commissioned by the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival in Kansas City, Missouri to compose and orchestrate music for A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Another commission, by the Chester Miniature Theater of Massachusetts, resulted in the music for Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, and was also a collaboration with lyricist, Cathleen McIsaac. He has composed and arranged music for film and videos. Mr. Bowman was awarded a full scholarship to attend the French Organ Music Seminar in Paris, which included sessions on the famous instruments of Notre-Dame Cathedral, Sainte-Clotilde, Saint-Sulpice, the Schola Cantorum, La Trinite and numerous other cathedrals around Paris. At the Cathedral in Chartre, Mr. Bowman played his original Rondo in D. Mr. Bowman’s Gloria, Rondo in D, and other arrangements received performances in Concord, Massachusetts. At the American Guild of Organists National Convention in Philadelphia, Mr. Bowman played the 112 rank, Curtis Memorial Organ at Christ Church.
As a tenor soloist, Mr. Bowman has performed with the Roger Wagner Chorale, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, the Los Angeles Baroque Orchestra, I Cantori, The Cambridge Singers of Los Angeles, The Southern California Choral Society, and The Ventura Master Chorale. He has performed roles with Texas Opera Theater – the touring subdivision of Houston Grand Opera, The Viennese Volksoper of Los Angeles, Los Angeles Valley Opera and the Los Angeles Music Theater Company. He has done understudy roles with The Aspen Music Festival and The Santa Fe Opera. As a member of different vocal ensembles he has performed at Carnegie Hall, the Academy of Music in Philadelphia, and the Hollywood Bowl. Mr. Bowman was a back-up vocalist for the Sarah Brightman World Tour at the Santa Barbara County Bowl, and sang in Oklahoma with Jean Stapleton at the Los Angeles Music Center. He appeared on the television special, Christmas in Beverly Hills with Jimmy Stewart, Lucile Ball and Bobby McFarrin. At Pepperdine University in Malibu, he collaborated with Giorgio Tozzi in productions of Amahl and the Night Visitors. He has done numerous recordings with various labels, including Warner Brothers, Delos and Sony. He participated in the Encore of the Three Tenors with Jose Carreras, Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti and Zubin Mehta at Dodger Stadium, the The King and I with Julie Andrews, and Night Breed with Danny Elfman.
As a keyboard player, trumpet player, vocalist and arranger he played with rock/pop/jazz bands through out the greater Los Angeles area, performed, by invitation only, with the Glendale All Stars, the best of the best, at the Glendale Civic Auditorium, and toured the country with The Open Road.
Mr. Bowman received his formal training at USC and California State University-Northridge. He holds a double Master of Music Degree in Conducting and Vocal Performance with additional study in Composition, Organ, Piano and Trumpet. Mr. Bowman is the Conductor Emeritus of The Santa Ynez Valley Master Chorale, Youth Chorale, Children’s Chorus and Orchestra, a position he held for twenty years.
- Conductor/Music Director - Santa Ynez Valley Chorale, Orchestra, Youth Chorale & Childrens' Chorus for 20 years
- Five Tours
Three United States Tours
One European Tour
One Quebec Tour
- Commission from the Shepherd Foundation to compose Pie Jesu for chorus, orchestra and piano
- Commission from the Shepherd Foundation to compose Etude for orchestra
- Commission from the Smith/Broderick Trust to compose A Life Well Lived for piano, guitar and bass
- Commission from the Smith/Broderick Trust to compose A Christmas Rose for chorus, strings and piano
- Quebec Summer Music Festival - Conductor
- Toad Hall – a new musical – collaboration with lyricist, Cathleen McIsaac
- Voted “Best Music” for the Santa Ynez Valley
- Ten-day tour to Vienna, Salzburg and Venice with The Santa Ynez Valley Master Chorale performing original music of Chris A. Bowman
- Award-winning Sanctus recorded by Kiev Philharmonic & Chorus with world-wide distribution
- Gloria - five movement original composition for soloists, chorus and orchestra
- Sarah Brightman World Tour 2000 – Back-up vocalist – Santa Barbara Bowl
- Grant from the John Imbach III Foundation to compose a new choral work
- Recipient of two artist-in-residence grants from the Santa Barbara Foundation, the James Irvine Foundation, and the Santa Barbara Community Arts Council, resulting in Alleluia and Celebrate for chorus and orchestra
- Full scholarship to the French Organ Music Seminar in Paris with sessions on the famous instruments of Notre-Dame Cathedral, Sainte-Clotilde, Sacre-Coeur, Saint-Sulpice, Chartres Cathedral - where he played his original Rondo in D, the Schola Cantorum and others
- First Place Composition Competition awarded from the Los Angeles Valley Symphony Orchestra for Time and Texture
- Commission to compose and orchestrate original music for Shakespeare’s, A Midsummer Night’s Dream for the Heart of America Shakespeare Festival in Kansas City, Missouri
- Musician with Mikhail Baryshnikov at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles
- Commission to compose music for Cock-A-Doodle-Doo for the Chester Miniature Theater of Massachusetts
- Conductor/Pianist at the Los Angeles Music Center KCET/KUSC Holiday Concert simulcast
- Keyboards, Arranger, Vocalist for National Tour with The Open Road
- Christmas in Beverly Hills television broadcast with Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball and Bobby McFarrin
- Amahl and the Night Visitors with Giorgio Tozzi at Pepperdine University, Malibu
- Music Videos – AIMS Media and Feather Touch Films
- Bowman's Blues The Music Center
- Makin' Music WavePoint Productions
- We Are One WavePoint Productions
- Progression WavePoint Productions
- Master Works of the New Era ERM Media
- Blessed WavePoint Productions
- Toad Hall – The Musical WavePoint Productions
- The Three Tenors – Encore! Atlantic Recording
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream WavePoint Productions
- The King and I – Julie Andrews Lorimar Productions
- Christmas with Roger Wagner Delos
- Night Breed – Danny Elfman Warner Brothers
- Alexander Nevsky – Andre Previn Telarc
- The English Chant Schola Hollywood-F.E.L.